Friday, April 22, 2011

Joe Orton

My old friend David was kind enough to share this with me.  We both became Joe Orton enthusiasts as a result of Ed Ball and The Times "Up Against It" (which neatly coincided with the theatrical release of "Prick Up Your Ears" a Joe Orton bio pic with Gary Oldman as Orton and Alfred Molina as his lover Kenneth Halliwell).  Joe Orton was dubbed "the Oscar Wilde of Swinging London" and for any of you have have not read his plays you owe it to yourself to check them out.  Anyway here is Joe Orton on the Eamon Andrews Show in April 1967, five months later he would be dead after being beaten to death with a hammer by Halliwell who then committed suicide by taking a handful of Nembutal.

4 comments:

C said...

Oh that is madly coincidental, I'm in the middle of composing a bit on Joe O for my blog and was even going to include this fab snippet! But it's so great to see it, wherever, so many thanks! I'll get my bit finished and post it soon though I'm running it past joeorton.org first due to a link I want to include - anyway, watch this space! Brilliant stuff, cheers.

wilthomer said...

We are on some similar wavelengths. I did not know about joeorton.org, thanks!

C said...

I wondered - how would you feel about me putting a link to this specific post of yours on my Joe one when I've done it? No prob if you'd prefer not, but if ok just let me know, thanks!

wilthomer said...

C:
By all means go ahead, in fact I would be honored if you did so.