Tuesday, September 6, 2011

On The Road To Cairo with Jools & Brian

JULIE DRISCOLL, BRIAN AUGER AND THE TRINITY-Road To Cairo/Shadows Of You France Marmalade 421405 1968
So tell me, is it me or doesn't ol' Jools look like a youthful Jam era Paul Weller on this sleeve? Sorry just asking...

I'll have to say it's taken me a good 20+ years to get my head around "The Road To Cairo". As songs go it probably wouldn't be interesting if it was done by anybody else but let's face it Jools voice is pretty hard to compete with and that's what finally brought me around on it. Auger's churchy organ adds an air of cool mysteriousness about it as well.

"Shadows Of You" is by far the better of the two. The crack music section of Brian Auger on the Hammond, Dave Ambrose on bass and Clive Thacker on drums lays down an amazing jazzy groove for Driscoll's soulful voice to springboard off of. Jools voice of course is top notch on this.  Although she's got a great voice I far prefer her singing group originals or tracks that are non-U.S. soul covers.  Don't get me wrong, it's not that she's bad at them they just are usually carbon copies of the original and it's far more interesting to hear her interpreting someone else's work in her own style or even better a group original!
Both sides were compiled on the still in print CD compilation "Brian Auger:The Mod Years" as well as a far more exhaustive compilation of Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger and The Trinity's material called "A Kind Of Love In 1967-1971".

Some Jools pin-up action because there are far too many pics of men on this blog.

























Hear "The Road To Cairo":

https://youtu.be/WWh6xkVNPmw

Hear "Shadows Of You":

https://youtu.be/PFc8dYNY2HM

3 comments:

Mondo said...

Don't know any of these - but all winners. Love Brian's burns in the sleeve

Smashingbird said...

I think she has to be my no1 style icon, if only I could sing a note!

C said...

She is one of mine too, Smashingbird. When I first got my hair cut very short a few years ago, I showed a pic of her to my hairdresser (and I've never looked back!)