Sunday, August 20, 2017

More U.K. Tracks On U.S. Labels: Georgie Fame's US Epic Debut

GEORGIE FAME-Bidin' My Time (Cos I Love You)/Because I Love You US Epic 5-10166 1967


















Georgie Fame switched from Columbia to CBS in the U.K. in 1967 which as a result saw him move from Imperial to Epic in the US. His March 1967 U.K. CBS debut was "Because I Love You"/"Bidin' My Time (Cos' I Love You)" (CBS 202587). It was curiously reversed for his US release in May. It needn't have mattered because the record did nothing chart wise here.

This 45 marked the second time two Georgie Fame originals graced the same 45 (credited to his real name Clive Powell). It was produced by Denny Cordell (who interestingly produced his 1966 work for his previous label in the UK Columbia, some of which were issued in the States by Imperial).

"Bidin' My Time (Cos' I Love You)" is an uptempo track that benefits from some funky congas and razor sharp horns with some interesting licks. There's an nifty break with a jazzy bass solo and congas reminiscent of a '67 Small Faces track (not too far off as both featured on some of the mighty mod foursome's '67 Immediate LP). The whole thing is pulled off in no small part by Cordell's production. Curiously there is no Hammond on the tune just piano, surely a precursor of thing's to come for "Fame In '67 On CBS" (as his U.K. label CBS promoted him with a distinct logo appearing on all his U.K. releases).

Fame with bassist Rik Brown















"Because I Love You" is a brilliant mid tempo ballad with layers of exquisite horns that weave in and out and propel it's infectious Motown inspired melody. Like the previous track it is also devoid of Fame's familiar Hammond.

Sadly Fame's next U.K. CBS release "Try My World" b/w "No Thanks" (CBS 2945 August 1967) would be passed over for a U.S. release and Americans would have to wait for the next Georgie Fame 7", the abominable "The Ballad Of Bonnie And Clyde", his last solo hit (#1 in the U.K. and #7 in the U.S.) in 1968.

Both cuts are on a variety of places including the CBS years UK CD compilation "Somebody Stole My Thunder" and the more recent (and essential) double CD reissue of his "Two Faces Of Fame: The Complete 1967 Recordings" (the 1967 LP in mono and stereo with 45, E.P. and unreleased cuts.




















Hear "Bidin' My Time (Cos' I Love You)":

https://youtu.be/vTCXzP2RvSY

Hear "Because I Love You":

https://youtu.be/0KhBnwai49c

Watch "Because I Love You" live in 1967 on German TV's "Beat Beat Beat":

No comments: