Monday, November 13, 2017

More U.K. Obscurities On U.S. Labels:Jon Gunn

JON GUNN-
I Just Made Up My Mind/Now Its My Turn US Deram 45-DEM-85013 1967

















British vocalist Jon Gunn's brief career consisted of just two 45's on the Deram label. Both were issued in the United States as well as his home country.  "I Just Made Up My Mind" was his debut. First issued in the UK as Deram DM 133 in June 1967, the track was composed by Alan Hawkshaw and had previously been issued in March 1967 by The Dodo's as "Made Up My Mind" (Polydor 56153). Today's U.S. subject was released in August 1967.

"I Just Made Up My Mind" is a perfect slice on archetype '67 Deram pop/soul from it's phlanged piano intro to sharp horns, sweeping soulful strings and it's uptempo danceability (all courtesy of Ivor Raymonde) and Jon Gunn's strong vocals that fall somewhere between Frankie Valli and Chris Farlowe. The number gained some brief popularity on the Northern soul scene no doubt thanks to it's uptempo beat and strings.

Photo c/o 45cat.com























The flip side "Now It's My Turn" is slightly less frantic.  It's strings and brass and touches of vibraphone add a distinctly "Northern" feel to it but this is off set by some congas and a chorus that would not sound at all out of place on an Amen Corner Deram 45. Gunn's follow up "If You Wish It/"I Don't Want To Get Hung Up On You Babe" was issued in Britain in December 1967 (DM 166). In the US an altered release was issued in January 1968 with a reading of the Macauly/Macleod ballad "Let The Heartaches Begin" gracing the A- side with "If You Wish It" bringing up the flip (45-85024).

"I Just Made Up My Mind" was included on the highly recommended Deram/Decca collection CD compilation "The Northern Soul Scene", the flip side has sadly not seen a reissue anywhere as of yet.

Hear " I've Just Made Up My Mind":

https://youtu.be/67f5B7C8CBY

Hear "Now It's My Turn":

https://youtu.be/Fg994V1agVQ


No comments: