Saturday, October 12, 2019

More U.K. Obscurities On U.S. Labels: Bobby Shafto

BOBBY SHAFTO-She's My Girl/Wonderful You US Rust 5082 1964





















Bobby Shafto would have never come across my radar had it not been for the 1985 See For Miles records LP compilation "60's Back Beat" (a delightful collection of UK mid Sixties tracks, most of which had never been compiled, either previously or since!!). Bobby's contribution was an uptempo rocker titled "She's My Girl".

Fast forward to over 35 years later and I'm digging in a local record shop and lo and behold, here's a US pressing of "She's My Girl"! It seems Bobby cut a total of 9 singles in the UK for the Parlophone label between 1962 and 1966. "She's My Girl" was his third U.K. release issued as Parlophone R 5130 in April 1964. It was issued in the US as Rust 5082 approximately one month later (curiously it was his American debut and the label would go on to issue four more singles of his).

"She's My Girl" is a fairly innocuous pop 45 and if it weren't for the blistering lead guitar intro it might just be another mediocre pop tune. It reminds me of a more rocked out/uptempo Honeycombs track, maybe its the offbeat rhythm or the chirpy delivery.

The flip, "Wonderful You", is tepid despite some decent musical backing. Shafto's voice isn't bad it's just a crap song and I'm sure it would be unremarkable no matter who did it (blame composers Geoff Stevens and Mike Leander). Shafto's voice reminds me a lot of Gene Pitney on it.

Poor Bobby gets the share a pin up with Gene Pitney, "Rave" magazine 1965
"She's My Girl" had it's most recent appearance on EMI's CD compilation "Beat At Abbey Road 1963-1965".

Hear "She's My Girl":

https://youtu.be/QJsXjovOruI

Hear "Wonderful You":

https://youtu.be/wObWaO9o37A

No comments: