Monday, October 5, 2026

More U.K. Obscurities On U.S. Labels On U.S. Labels: The Truth "Sueno"

 

(THE) TRUTH-Sueno/Old Ma Brown U.S. London 45-LON-1017 1968

U.K. 60's duo The Truth (Frank Aiello and Steve Jameson) had just three of their eight British singles released in America. Today's subject was the final single on both sides of the Atlantic. "Sueno" was my first introduction to these chaps when I first heard it on a "Rubble" compilation where one of the compilers referred to them as "not the dodgy 80's mod combo". I will admit that I barely paid them or the track any attention and it honestly wasn't until I found this single in my local record shop that I paid it any mind (having long ago been converted to the band via their incredible previous singles (which we have discussed here, here AND here). 

"Sueno" (Spanish for "dream") is of course a cover of a track originally done by The Rascals as the flip of their smash "Groovin". Starting off with some very funky 70's sounding keyboards this cover is fairly decent. Aiello and Jameson were incredibly matched vocally and they carry the tune with ease adding a certain soulfulness to it not found in the original. The musical backing is fairly sparse: with hand claps, acoustic guitar, bass, drums and ivory tinkling. There's occasional bouts of weirdness (which I love) especially at the end where this over the top Mick Ronson 1970 style guitar solo arrives out of nowhere to accompany the Nicky Hopkins style piano trills to play the number out.





















The flip, "Old Ma Brown" is an acoustic country music styled ditty complete with some very American Nashville session guitar style licks that accompany each verse, the number surprisingly works for me because of the vocal strength of these two cats!

Both sides are available on the Truth CD collection/compilation "Who's Wrong: Mod Bedlam 1965-1969" and for the moment are available on streaming as well. 

Hear "Sueno":


Hear "Old Ma Brown":

No comments: